Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 1

Hi!
I am Jo, and I am about to embark on a one year experiment. The objective, CHANGE.  Change in myself, my family and even my community. How do I intend to make such a change? With change of course, that is pocket change.

The idea started a couple of months ago when I sat on my couch and watched an episode of TLC's Extreme Couponing. It blew my mind! These shoppers were going into a grocery store with binders full of coupons and coming out with hundreds of items and paying very little for them. I did have some of the other common reactions to the show, who really needs all of that stuff? But my present financial situation had my inner voice saying "I do!" So I did more research, could some one really save that much money couponing? I looked into some of the blogs of the featured couponers from the show and was really impressed. They all had really good information about how they got started and advice for other new couponers. They had similar stories to mine, some hardships financially that had led them to look for other alternatives. But through couponing they were able to persevere.

I started couponing a bit, on a very small scale. Going on the advice from these blogs I was able to not run out of toilet paper! Now to some that might be a weird statement but to other's like me it was a blessing. A little background on me: I am 30 years old, I have been married for 7 years and have 2 kids (my daughter is 8 and my son is 4). I live at my mother's house because it saves money and my mom is disabled and needs the company and help from time to time. We actually get paid by the state to take care of her. That is our main income, $1,000 a month to do what I was brought up to do- take care of my family. My husband has been out of a job since October, 2009. So he is my stay at home dad and takes care of the kids. I was working at a call center for almost 3 years, waking up at 4 am every day to drive into Eugene.

Then things got complicated. To sum up the situation without going into too much detail, I now have a 6 month old step son.  No, I did not separate from my husband and am really close to my step son's mom. I just choose to handle it differently then other women would have. I did, however, decide that I needed to do something different. The stress from my complicated family situation and my job persuaded me to look else where in life to find myself. I was suffering from anxiety attacks and became more introverted then I had ever been. My sister in law suggested that we go back to school. So we enrolled in a small college and decided to take night classes. The thought about going back to school scared me so much. To work on top of going to school scared me too (I do know that a lot of people can handle going to school and working a full time job and I applaud you) so I decided to quit my job so I could focus on school. In hindsight I sometimes wonder if that was the right decision to make, I was the main bread winner in the family and I just walked away from it. But I know that in the end I am bettering myself for my family and am studying for something that will eventually benefit my family more then my call center job.

My family means the world to me and anything I can do to better their lives, sign me up. I started printing and cutting coupons. I started scoping out stores and reading blogs. I have a small little cardboard coupon organizer I bought at the dollar store and I have been doing OK so far but there were things I also started to notice.
1. You can save more when combining store coupons with manufactures coupons.
2. The more coupons you have the more you save.
3. There are a lot of coupons for healthy foods and pet supplies.

The wheels in my head started turning again...what if???
What if I really made a go at this, full on couponing. How much money can I save?
What if I get a lot of coupons, so that I can actually have food in the house all month long?
What if I also try to help out others, friends who need diapers, food, toiletries?
What if I even was able to donate some of these items to local charities...I could even donate pet supplies to the local animal shelter!

Then the full realization of this blog came about. I am going to record everything here on this blog and show others that they could change with pocket change too! At least that is my goal. Let me be your Guinea pig. Stay tuned and watch how couponing can change your life.

Thanks, Jo

5 comments:

  1. I love it! I watched the show and was on board immediately- in theory. I can't seem to get organized enough to even get the coupons clipped. I'll tune in and see how you do it! Good luck, and thanks for including us in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! My inlaws call every weekend to see what I have saved! (They are retired teachers supporting my sister in law and her 5 kids, so they are often recipients of my couponing excess). I like to be able to help them out. I too an in financial hard times right now. My husband has lost his job TWICE since 2008 and we have two young daughters. He is working through a temp agency right now so at times there is not a lot of work. I just started a custom clothing business and am not yet drawing an income. Couponing has allowed us to at least attempt to keep up on our bills. Good luck to you. I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have not seen Extreme Couponing yet, (our cable was cut off but was turned back on Thursday!) So I am going to find out when it comes on to watch. I have heard a lot of good AND bad. I have a small fam, just 3 of us, but let me tell you: my man is the only one working and somehow, I cut it too close for comfort on food every month. IDK what I'm doing wrong but I need to fix it. I have recently decided to start clipping coupons again and thanks to FaceBook I have learned there are a TON of coupons online. I just got my laptop working again and got online, so I am totally new to this entire process. I am hoping that by YOUR blog, I too can learn the in's and out's and be able to better save and have more for my family. Thanks so much Jo. Good luck, I'm praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I know how you feel! I, too, have just started on my coupon journey in hopes of saving money! I have done decent so far, but I do wish I could save more!

    Good luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for u girl I'm new at this as well so it would be great to do this with u so please make sure to go into full detail what u are doing so we can all do it with u. Best of luck to u and ur family.

    :) Marisol

    ReplyDelete