Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 4

A Trip to Walgreen's
It has been a long day. I got some alone time when I went to my doctors appointment today so after the appointment I headed to Walgreen's.

Each store has unique specials/ savings that really make couponing worth while. For Walgreen's, it is their Register Rewards. I am still learning about everything I can do with these so I will share with you what I know. You get Register Rewards by buying participating items. These rewards are like cash back that you can use only at Walgreen's. In the ad you can scope out what sale items will get Register Rewards. You really have to read the fine print though because some Walgreen's have restrictions that limit how many Register Rewards you can get per transaction.

You can use manufactures coupons to get the Register Rewards which = big savings and sometimes even freebies! See the example I posted? This is what you will see in your local Walgreen's ad. Note the total is "like paying" and not your actual total.

I did my first transaction actually on the other side of town. The great thing about Walgreen's is that when they decide to build one in your area, they can not stop at just one! My town has a population of about 57,000 people and is 8 miles east to west. In my town we now have 3 Walgreen's! Anyway I started at the one near my bank. This is where I decided to make my initial transaction and get my Register Rewards.
It was on sale for $9.89
I used 1 manufacturers coupon for $4.00 off
I paid 5.89 and got a $5.00 Register Reward back!
So it was like paying .89 cents!

The cashier at this store was really nice, so I decided to ask her, how many Register Rewards can you get per transaction? She was able to tell me that you can get 1 Register Reward for every item that offers it. This means that even if you have say 10 of these razors, you will still get only one $5.00 register reward for it. However, if you got this deal and say got one of the Sobe's that are on sale for $1 that offers a $1 Register Reward (making it free). Then you would get the $5 from the razor and $1 from the Sobe :)

Also before I left, she said "You better take one of these" and handed my their June 2011 coupon book! I don't remember seeing this on any of the blogs I follow. ( blog about blogs coming up shortly). It was like giving a little kid a piece of candy! I was so happy :)

So then I headed to my side of town to pick up my mom's prescription and take advantage of my new $5 Register Rewards. I thought I could be crafty and use this purchase to get another Register Reward. Nope. (If you know different please tell me.) I needed toilet paper anyway, so I grabbed a 12 pack of Angel soft . I could have sworn the tag said that I would get a $3 Register Reward and pay 3.50 for it but either the tag was wrong or it was actually on sale. Thinking that I would have gotten another Register Reward I went and grabbed two 9 oz Johnson and Johnson baby lotions ( 2 of my friends are expecting babies, so I have been slowly getting stuff together to give to them.) It was a fairly slow day so I asked this cashier if I could do two transactions. He said not a problem. Here is how this played out.

I wanted to get the toilet paper with my Register Rewards from the other store. I also had a .50 cent printable coupon that I tried to apply, but the register wouldn't except it :/ However, the Angel Soft ended up being on sale for $6.00 so after my Register Reward, I paid $1.00 for that transaction.

Then it was time for my baby lotion. These were on sale buy 1 get 1 half off. The first one was $2.99 and the second one was $1.49. I had 2 coupons for $1.00 off ( also printable) bringing my total for this transaction $2.48

Here is my little man, showing off my haul!

So retail price for all three transactions (assuming that the toilet paper is on sale and I had no coupons.)
$ 20.37
 Actual price that I paid today = $9.37
A savings of $11.00......total saving for the year thus far = $17.28

1 comment: